Re: [squid-users] External helper problem

From: Matthew Goff <matt_at_goff.cc>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 16:37:27 -0600

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Mateusz KamiƄski <mateusz_at_kaminscy.biz> wrote:
> Additional question - how to debug such helper problems - is there any
> way to get squid log sending request to helper and getting response
> from it?

# TAG: debug_options
# Logging options are set as section,level where each source file
# is assigned a unique section. Lower levels result in less
# output. Full debugging (level 9) can result in a very large
# log file, so be careful.
#
# The magic word "ALL" sets debugging levels for all sections.
# We recommend normally running with "ALL,1".
#
# The rotate=N option can be used to keep more or less of these logs
# than would otherwise be kept by logfile_rotate.
# For most uses a single log should be enough to monitor current
# events affecting Squid.
#
#Default:
# debug_options ALL,1

Enable that and you will see messages from Squid to your helper, from
your helper to Squid, etc in your cache log. I just wrote my own
helper not long ago and this was very useful in seeing what was
happening. Level 1 or 2 should be sufficient.