Re: [squid-users] Bypassing SSL Bump for dstdomain

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 17:50:27 -0700

On 03/04/2013 10:11 PM, Amm wrote:

>> # Let user specify domains to avoid decrypting, such as internet banking
>> acl bump-bypass dstdomain .commbank.com.au
>> ssl_bump none bump-bypass
>> ssl_bump server-first all

> This will not work for intercepting traffic. Because domain is known
> only after SSL connection is established. So certificate stage etc
> has already passed.

It will work but only if the reverse DNS lookup for the intercepted IP
address works: ssl_bump supports slow ACLs, and dstdomain is a slow ACL
if given an IP address.

> You should try ACL check based on real IP or IP range. Ofcourse this
> assumes that IP will never change for those banks.

Agreed. And one can combine fast IP-based rules with slower reverse DNS
lookups, of course. Each approach has its own flaws.

> I am also assuming that squid checks IP based ACLs for ssl_bump
> before establishing connection with client.

Squid checks all ssl_bump ACLs before establishing a TCP connection with
the server. The TCP connection from the client is already accepted (or
intercepted) by the time ssl_bump ACL is checked.

> Or you need to create rules at firewall level which will *not* divert
> traffic for those sites to squid.

Agreed. That would be a better alternative to IP-based ssl_bump ACLs.

Thank you,

Alex.