Re: [squid-users] Re: Squid 3.3.2 SMP Problem

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 16:59:55 -0600

On 03/15/2013 05:05 AM, Ahmad wrote:
> hi all ,
> ive added in my squid.conf the config of smp ,
> im using squid 3.3.3 ,
>
> but my question is , how to monitoe the performace and make sure if my other
> idle cores are being used ??

In general, you should monitor SMP Squid performance just like you
monitor non-SMP Squid performance. There are still some Squid-reported
stats that are not aggregated across workers, but most critical ones
are. The details are being documented at
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/CacheManager#SMP_considerations

As for CPU core utilization monitoring specifically, for short-term
checks, consider using "top" (press '1' to see all cores) and for
long-term trends, perhaps an mpstat log would help?

After Squid has been running for some time, you could also look at the
total CPU time of each Squid worker reported by "top", "ps", and other
tools. This will give you an idea of how well your OS balances workers.

> does using smp can make delay when starting squid ? i mean that rebuildig
> process take more time when using smp ??!!

If the machine has enough resources, SMP rebuild should be faster than
an exactly the same rebuild done by a non-SMP Squid, but YMMV.

HTH,

Alex.