Re: [squid-users] Fwd: Hye I have some problems with my cache

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 14:33:54 +1300

On 23/03/2013 5:22 a.m., Olivier Calzi wrote:
> Thanks ofr the reply i will test this asap.
>
> Have a nice week-end

* Please also consider upgrade to Ubuntu squid3 package. 2.7 is not
maintained or supported for several years now.

  - NP: the caching support in the most current Squid is a lot better,
but I'm not sure the Ubuntu packaged version is new enough to include
all that. Either way the code is a lot closer to the currently supported
versions so tracing any issues and fixing them is a lot easier.

> 2013/3/22 Squidblacklist:
>> Also I use this directive in my conf to ensure squid will purge older
>> unused cache and not run out of disk space
>>
>> cache_swap_low 90
>> cache_swap_high 95
>>
>> Not sure if you need that, but it works for me.

These are the defaults. In Squid-2 they are required to be present in
the config file.

>> On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 07:40:01 -0700
>> Squidblacklist wrote:
>>
>>> You have your cache set to 1024mb in size, this is very small, it is
>>> no wonder it is filling quickly. I would increase that.

How big is the drive?

This "no_cache" directive has been deprecated since Squid-2.4. Remove
the "no_" portion to see what it actually does.

Also, the "QUERY" ACL has been not needed (and a little harmful to HIT
ratios) since Squid-2.6. Consider removing those lines.

* Check the size of swap.state file in this directory. Also check the
log files directory.
   If you have a very busy cache they can all grow fast and Squid
requires more frequent "squid -k rotate" to clean up the swap.state
journal and log files. Even if you are using an external log manager
"squid -k rotate" is required to perform the related state cleanup and
cache journal management.

<snip>

* Check this core dump directory to see if it is filling your disk with
lots of core dumps. If so please seriously consider the Squid-3 upgrade
and if the problem remains utilize the squid-3 core dumps to isolate the
issue.

   - Also if you can identify the directory squid is considering its
"home" directory on startup (*should* be the coredump_dir but not always
in the older Squid) check that directory as well.

Amos