Re: [squid-users] squid release cycle

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 02:33:55 +1300

On 3/04/2013 1:02 a.m., E.S. Rosenberg wrote:
> Hi all,
> After digging through the squid-cache website and wiki but not finding
> I'm turning to you.
>
> I have been asked to create a new squid machine at work based on
> freeBSD, currently FreeBSD ports doesn't have Squid-3.3 yet.
>
> In general how long will Stable squid releases be supported, Squid-3.1
> seems to have been supported for about 2 years, on the other hand
> release speed seems to be much higher then before....
>
> Thanks,
> Eli

Yes we don't seem to have the main project policy formally in writing
anywhere. The support lifetime is up to the maintainer. Meaning myself
and a host of distro package maintainers. I think its safe to say we all
try to support as few options as possible to keep the workload low. But
there is a lot of variance due to many circumstances.

What I try to do for consistency (even if I'm a bit flexible) is:

  * Each minor version release is deprecated when the next release in
its series is packaged.
  * Each major series is deprecated when the next major series are
packaged as stable.
  * I also try to provide general user support for the current release
series back only as far as the last security vulnerability.

As you note teh fast 3.3 cycle and now the fast 3.4 cycle have called
into question how strictly it should be followed. I have spent the last
few months considering exactly that question, opinions are welcome.

I am expecting release speed to settle down to around 6-12 months, but
we shall see.

Amos