Re: [squid-users] Sponsor etag/vary support for Squid 3.3

From: Ed W <lists_at_wildgooses.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 09:50:00 +0100

On 02/04/2013 23:38, Alex Rousskov wrote:

>> I hope this will also be useful to others than just me!
> Yes, I believe most of the ETag improvements you want will be generally
> useful, including in environments where ETags come from origin servers
> (rather than being added by Squid in violation of HTTP rules).

Thanks Alex. Yes, it seems a small number of frameworks are finally
using etags correctly, so there is some possibility of real usage in the
wild!

> I still think that the earlier comprehensive design with a new/dedicated
> checksum headers would be an overall better solution for your specific
> problem, but it would take a lot more time to implement while you should
> be able to get quite a bit by simply [ab]using ETags. And since the
> changes you need are mostly generally useful, I do not see any big
> problems with this simplified approach, at least as the first step.

Sure - I don't disagree, but this will be a great first step to prove
whether it can work or not. Also, at least this bit will be standards
compliant, so we can work on bending the rules outside of that change
later on. I think this will be really good groundwork (and benefit squid)

Cheers

Ed W