Re: [squid-users] squid 3.x expected max throughput

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 22:13:29 +1200

On 11/04/2013 12:23 a.m., Youssef Ghorbal wrote:
> I was aware of that page.
> As you said, it's often RPS so it's not relevant for me.

It is more relevant than you seem to think. Squid processing overheads
are tied tightly to the request parsing and ACL testing processes. These
are relatively fixed overheads for each request regardless of the
request size.

IIRC the 50Mbps traffic was on average HTTP request traffic objects in a
medium sized ISP - we do not have any good detaisl on what that average
was though. With very little extra overheads the same proxy on same
hardware might also reach 100Mbps. All that is required is the avg
object size to go from, for example, 16KB to 32KB which are both within
the bounds of "average HTTP traffic" sizes (11-63KB).

Amos