Re: [squid-users] Question about encryption of data

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 13:14:03 -0600

On 04/11/2013 12:59 PM, Maziyar Keshavarzian wrote:

> I have a question about squid. Forgive me if it is a basic one. Is it
> possible to encrypt data between squid server and other users?

Yes.

> I am planning to use squid as a tool to bypass internet filtering. And
> it is important for me to have the data encrypted, I know that they
> are using DPI systems so they can easily recognize unencrypted
> traffic.

You can configure user agents to send traffic via an encrypted channel
to the Squid box. Once it reaches the Squid box, the traffic will be
unencrypted and sent to Squid. You can use ssh port forwarding, stunnel,
or other TCP-level encryption tools to do that. This assumes that users
and Squid are located on the opposite sides of the filter, and that
Squid and user boxes themselves are secure.

HTH,

Alex.