Re: [squid-users] Send FileZilla FTP traffic through ICAP server

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 08:08:11 -0600

On 04/24/2013 08:02 PM, Brendan Kearney wrote:

> Why are you using the CONNECT method with FTP? The CONNECT method is
> for use with tunneled connections, such as HTTPS through a proxy. It
> does not seem correct that the CONNECT method is being used.

Dave is not using CONNECT. FileZilla is:

>> For its part, FileZilla reports:
>> *******************************************************
>> Error: Connection timed out
>> Error: Could not connect to server
>> *******************************************************

I know nothing about FileZilla but, according to FileZilla forums,
FileZilla uses CONNECT tunnels when working through HTTP proxies. There
is nothing wrong with that from protocols point of view, and other
clients such as cURL (for some protocols) and WebSockets apps use
CONNECT to get through HTTP proxies as well.

Dave, it looks like FileZilla did not receive FTP server Hello from
Squid. I suggest that you take packet captures before and after Squid,
to see whether Squid itself has received FTP server Hello from the FTP
server. If Squid connected to the FTP server but received nothing, then
the problem is on the FTP server side. Otherwise, the problem may be
with Squid.

HTH,

Alex.