Re: [squid-users] [BUG] Squid 3.2.x drops connections on -k rotate

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 12:42:40 +1200

On 1/05/2013 4:04 a.m., Luciano Ruete wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are using squid 3.2.9 (but I checked change log up to 3.2.11 before
> writing this mail).
>
> If a user behind proxy starts a long file download and in the meantime
> we do a -k rotate, that download gets broken.
>
> I think this is a bug.

If it is actually Squid breaking the download that would be a bug.
However -k rotate does not do anything with active connections.
It:
  * restarts helpers, gracefully so that all pending requests are still
served. It MAY break connections which are midway through NTLM handshake
setup, but that is a transitory issue and disappears immediately on
client retry.
  * renames the log files and starts writing to the new main log(s).
  * dumps the cache index journal out to a new file (swap.state) and
starts using the new clean journal from that point onwards.

Apart from the swap.state generation all of this takes a few dozen
milliseconds at most. I'm not sure how long the swap.state writing takes
and how it overaps with the post-rotate resumption.

So can you please check your cache.log and system messages log carefully
to ensure that; a) Squid is not in fact crashing during the rotate -
which would definitely cut all transactions and b) how long the rotation
is taking in the active worker process - more than a few ms rotation
pausing time by Squid would allow TCP and NAT state timers to run out
and play havoc with random connections.

Amos