Re: [squid-users] Time spent on website?

From: Antony Stone <Antony.Stone_at_squid.open.source.it>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 17:11:28 +0200

On Monday 06 May 2013 at 16:55:06, matthew vassallo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently using squid to gather information regarding users such as on
> which website they have been, tracking their IP address etc... Kindly
> would it be possible to know the total time that a user spent browsing a
> specific website please? So if user X went on Facebook and spent 15
> minutes, would I be able to know such information through squid or other
> integrated software please?

You can see when the user (or at least, their browser) loaded each page as
they wander around the Internet in the standard access log file.

Now, suppose you see that they clicked on a page in Facebook at 11:36:12, and
then visited Amazon at 11:44:15. Have they been looking at Facebook for 8
minutes, or did they glance at a page, answer the phone for 7 minutes, and
then go to Amazon?

So, you can certainly see each page they visit and when they load it, but
inferring how much time they spent looking at it after it's loaded, rather
than doing something else, is a non-technical question.

I trust you have also checked with someone who knows the privacy laws in
whatever location you plan to do this, to make sure that it is legal.

Regards,

Antony.

--
BASIC is to computer languages what Roman numerals are to arithmetic.
                                                     Please reply to the list;