Re: [squid-users] Squid CPU 100% infinite loop

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 15:38:45 -0600

On 05/17/2013 01:28 PM, Loïc BLOT wrote:

> I have found the problem. In fact it's the problem mentionned on my
> last mail, is right. Squid FD limit was reached, but squid doesn't
> mentionned every time the freeze appear that it's a FD limit
> problem, then the debug was so difficult.

Squid should warn when it runs out of FDs. If it does not, it is a
bug. If you can reproduce this, please open a bug report in bugzilla
and post relevant logs there.

FWIW, I cannot confirm or deny whether reaching FD limit causes what
you call an infinite loop -- there was not enough information in your
emails to do that. However, if reaching FD limit causes high CPU
usage, it is a [minor] bug.

> Also, i think you must add a non portable check to check if squid
> FD limit isn't greater than system ulimit (ulimit -n under
> OpenBSD). Squid doesn't mention that and when this appear, it's
> also a freeze (squid FD saturation) and no warning is mentionned in
> the logs. This check would be at the squid start/reload.

Many things determine "squid FD limit", including things that
overwrite system-reported limits. I agree that Squid should warn if
the configured/forced "squid FD limit" exceeds one of the known system
FD limits. If Squid does not, it would be a third problem.

Cheers,

Alex.