Re: [squid-users] squidguard not redirecting

From: Helmut Hullen <Hullen_at_t-online.de>
Date: 18 May 2013 11:37:00 +0200

Hallo, Amos,

Du meintest am 18.05.13:

[...]

>> The squidguard job is working with a really big blacklist. And
>> working with some specialized ACLs.

> Which apart from the list files, is all based on received information
> sent to it by Squid.

>> I know "squid" can do this job too - and I maintain a schoolserver
>> which uses many of these possibilities of "squid". But then some
>> other people has to maintain the blacklist. That's no job for the
>> administrator in the school.

> You are the first to mention that change of job.

> The proposal was to:
> * make Squid load the blacklist
> * remove SG from the software chain
> * watch response time improve ?

> Nowhere in that sequence does it require any change of who is
> creating the list.

But that's one of the major problems for a user of any blacklist: who
maintains this blacklist.

That's no squid job, of course.

> At most the administrator may need to run a tool to convert from some
> strange format to one Squid can load. (FWIW: both squidblacklists.org
> and Shalla provide lists which have already been converted to
> Squid-compatible formats).

Hmmm - sounds interesting.

[...]

> Note that we have not even got near discussing the content of those
> "regex" lists. I've seen many SquidGuard installations where the
> rationale for holding onto SG was that squid "can't handle this many
> regex".

And at least for such purpose as a schoolserver that's a valid objection
A teacher has to teach pupils, not to build regular expressions for a
machine.

> Listing 5 million domain names in a file with some 1% having
> a "/something" path tacked on the end does not make it a regex list.
> ** split the fie into domains and domain+path entries. Suddenly you
> have a small file of url_regex, a small file of dstdom_regex and a
> long list of dstdomain ... which Squid can handle.

Yes - I know.
But that sounds more like a theory, not like a downloadable solution.

And again: who maintains this solution?

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut