Re: [squid-users] Squid and Hangout (google) problem

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 22:27:54 +1200

On 28/05/2013 7:03 p.m., Carlo Filippetto wrote:
> 2013/5/28 Amos Jeffries:
>> On 28/05/2013 2:38 a.m., Carlo Filippetto wrote:
>>> I have a squid server with NTLM_auth. Now we want to use the
>>> google-hangout to made video conference, but squid stops the video
>>> session with a 407 (TCP_DENIED).
>>>
>>> Someone can help me to solve this problem?
>>
>> "407 Proxy Authentication Requried" gets sent to the client when no auth
>> credentials are delivered by it to the proxy. NTLM is a nasty protocol which
>> requires several request-reply sequences involving 407 status code and
>> various tokens to be sent to-and-fro. This may be what you are spotting in
>> the logs.
>>
>> This might also help ...
>> http://answers.awesomium.com/questions/1343/using-ntlm-to-authenticate.html
>>

>> Amos
>
> Dear Amos,
> my problem is not NTLM, I use NTLM from more the 5 years..
> The problem is Hangout software, if you tried to do a con (not video)
> it works, but if you tried to make a video-conference it doesn't work.
> May be the encoding?

Yes, as you say the problem is not NTLM itself. And since you have been
using it successfully for so long probably not Squid either.
You should herefore take this up with the Hangout software help
channels, not the Squid ones.

And no, encoding does not matter to Squid unless you have an old Squid
which is still version 3.1 or older (HTTP/1.0 features) and Hangout
requiring HTTP/1.1 features for the stream. The solution there should be
obvious.

Amos