Re: [squid-users] Squid memory usage

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 08:53:10 -0600

On 05/28/2013 08:19 PM, Nathan Hoad wrote:
> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 1:56 AM, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>> Memory leaks increase memory usage over time. Does that happen in your
>> environment? If you do not know, you may want to start logging Squid
>> memory usage every hour or so.

> I am happy to start doing this, but given that memory usage would
> increase over time through general use anyway, I'm unsure how I could
> differentiate between expected memory usage increases and a memory
> leak.

In a steady state, memory usage should not "increase over time through
general use". A steady state includes such preconditions as

* no memory pools or sufficient traffic to fill memory pools
* no caching or sufficient traffic to fill all caches
* steady peak loads (as opposed to getting more and more load over time)

Sure, memory usage will fluctuate with load, but the overall trend in a
steady state should not be "up", it should be "flat". In other words,
there will always be memory usage peaks and valleys but neither should
be increasing with time in a steady state. If they do, there is a leak
somewhere.

Cheers,

Alex.