[squid-users] Re: Same cache_dir for many squid process

From: babajaga <augustus_meyer_at_yahoo.de>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 04:58:42 -0700 (PDT)

>CARP is the type of hierarchy you want for scalability if SMP is
unavailable. It is two-layer and each layer is independently scalable.
 It does
require specific hardware ......<

Why "specific HW" ( multi-core CPU will seriously benefit from this setup,
although not a requirement) ?
(I am running such a CARPed-squi2.7-config on a standard server with a
quad-core CPU. Using separate disks for each squid, though, but that should
not be a requirement either).

> With SMP, if you have 2 processes, you can process 2 separate requests
> simultaneously.>
Same benefit when using CARP.