Re: [squid-users] what are the Pros and cons filtering urls using squid.conf?

From: Squidblacklist <webmaster_at_squidblacklist.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 21:13:46 -0700

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 00:57:01 -0300
Marcus Kool <marcus.kool_at_urlfilterdb.com> wrote:

> If you want to have a URL filter and to be able to reload
> its configuration without a disruption of service,
> one may use ufdbGuard. It is free Open Source Software and can be
> used with your own URL database, free URL databases and commercial
> URL databases.
>
> It is not very interesting which DB ufdbGuard uses. The unofficial
> name is "ufdb 2.0". A utility called ufdbGenTable converts a text
> file to a .ufdb URL table file which ufdbGuard reads.

I think it actually can be quite interesting which "db" you use. As
not all blacklists are created equal, some rather, are much better than
others. While using blacklists in the conf is an option, I see that a
greater focus for broader support of third party plugins will be vital
to offering a better selection of blacklists for squid proxy at
squidblacklist.org, taking this into consideration, I have come to
understand that to provide a wider range of options, we must support
formats for third party plugins. I will begin work to address the broad
needs of the community immediately as it applies to my own works.

> For those who wish to use the core functionality of ufdbguard, there
> is also an API available.
>
> Marcus

-
Signed,