Re: [squid-users] Re: A lot of TCP_REFRESH_UNMODIFIED after upgrading squid

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 11:21:51 +0300

On 6/11/2013 10:56 AM, Alex Domoradov wrote:
> Amos, any idea?

Just asking.
do you understand the difference between a TCP_HIT and
TCP_REFRESH_UNMODIFIED ??
Looking at the wiki again it seems like it would be helpful just to see
this specific section:
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidLogs?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=TCP_REFRESH_UNMODIFIED&titlesearch=Titles#Squid_result_codes

You might not understand that:
TCP_REFRESH_UNMODIFIED is actually a HIT based on the origin server(or a
parent proxy).
if you have lots of TCP_REFRESH_UNMODIFIED in your log file you can tell
your clients (in a case of only one proxy between the client and the
site) that they get it from cache while making sure it's the file they
should get and also the server knows that yet another client gets a good
and valid reply.

try to make a calculation of all these requests like this:
sum of bytes that was sent to clients less the bytes that was sent on
the 304 request from squid = you got your HIT in bandwidth length rather
then FULL not From Wire transfer.

Am I being clear enough or I should give you more details?

Eliezer
> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Alex Domoradov <alex.hha_at_gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>