Re: [squid-users] what are the Pros and cons filtering urls using squid.conf?

From: Jose-Marcio Martins <Jose-Marcio.Martins_at_mines-paristech.fr>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 16:57:11 +0200

On 06/11/2013 02:36 PM, Marcus Kool wrote:

>> So my question is... a more direct and precise question, just about ufdbGuard. While ufdbGuard
>> reloads its URL database, does it pauses answering queries ? If yes, how long does it takes ?
>
> ufdbGuard does not pause answering queries from Squid during a reload since that would pause Squid
> and is considered an interruption of service.
>
> ufdbGuard releases the current URL database, loads a new configuration and loads a new URL database
> in 10 seconds on average.
> ufdbGuard has a configurable behaviour in this 10-second interval and does either one of:
> - allow all URLs; send immediately an "OK" back to Squid (default)
> - allow all URLs but also introduce artifical delays when sending replies back to Squid.
> The effect is that traffic is slowed down and the total number of unfiltered URLs is reduced.
> - deny all URLs; send immediately and "not OK" back to Squid. The end user receives a message like
> "try again in a few moments".

Yes, there IS an "interruption of service" because during 10 seconds ufdbGuard doesn't work as it
should do : URL filtering based on the URL database.

You should use "degraded service" instead of "interruption of service".

--
  Envoyé de ma machine à écrire.
   Spam : Classement statistique de messages électroniques -