[squid-users] Squid Optimization

From: Matthew Ceroni <matthewceroni_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 14:43:46 -0700

We are running squid as our primary proxy here at my office.

What I am noticing is that connectivity is fine but every now and then
the browser sits with "Sending request". If I hope on the proxy and
view the access log I don't see it logging my request. After a few
seconds, sometimes as many as 10 - 15, the request comes through.

My thought process is that the request is getting queued. I did a
little research about maximum concurrent connections but all I came
across was how to limit a specific user to max concurrent connections.

Prior to deploying squid I read through some performance and
optimization guides. I increased the open file handles to 8192 and am
currently monitoring those to see if they run out (but usually don't
get above 1600 or so in use).

I am more familiar with Apache in which you can specify how many
children to spawn, workers, etc to handle requests. Is there something
similar with squid? The machine we are running squid on has 4 cores
and the load barely breaks 0.25.

Running this on CentOS which officially only has 3.1.10 in their
repositories. I tried installing the latest stable version and
configure the workers. However I have never been able to get squid to
start-up with that enabled. Always says it can't bind to port: no such
file or directory. Without going to the latest version that supports
the workers option, is there something in squid where you can specify
how many process to spawn, or how many concurrent connections a squid
process can handle (queue depth)?

Thanks in advance