Re: [squid-users] Squid Optimization

From: Matthew Ceroni <matthewceroni_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 16:17:59 -0700

Hey:

Thanks for the response.

I just tried moving to 3.2.8-1 from this repo:
http://www2.ngtech.co.il/rpm/centos/6/$basearch

I chosen 3.2.8 instead of the 3.3.5 because I looked at the init
script and noticed a few errors with it. And I was primarily upgrading
to get access to the workers configuration option, which is available
in 3.2. I was also able to fix the issue I had getting that running.
Turns out the RPM package didn't create a necessary run directory
(/var/run/squid) for the socket files. Once I created that it started
up just fine.

So my hope is this provides better performance and utilizes the SMP
capabilities of our proxy host. Was my thinking correct in that in
version 3.1 that requests would get queued up and that is why there
was a latency in processing the request? For 3.1 how many concurrent
requests could the squid daemon handle at one point?

Kind of a different topic, but I am having trouble getting the nolog
option to work. In version 3.1 I simply had like this:

.jira.com
.concursolutions.com
.typesafe.com
.maven.org
.surveymonkey.com
.salesforce.com
.webex.com

Saved it as nolog.txt and added the following to squid.conf:

acl NoLogSites url_regex -i "/etc/squid/nolog.txt"
log_access deny NoLogSites

However, when I use that now it doesn't log anything.

Thanks again