Re: [squid-users] parent request order

From: Marcus Kool <marcus.kool_at_urlfilterdb.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 08:08:01 -0300

On 06/24/2013 06:01 AM, T Ls wrote:
> Am 19.6.2013 16:13, schrieb Marcus Kool:
>>>
>>> wpad does a good job.
>>> I am not sure how it balances but the failover works fine.
>> So, what you can do is divide the client IP address range in
>> 3 segments and via the PAC file make a decision which
>> proxy (S_i) will be the primary proxy; the browser wil only
>> use the secondary proxy when the first one is not available.
>
> I checked this out, but it did not work, because when the PAC-File returns:
>
> "PROXY p1:8080; PROXY p2:8080";
>
> and the parent-proxy of p1 is not available, p1 returns a error-message ("parent not available") and the browser will not failover to p2, because the request yield HTML and everything seems to be fine
> for the browser.

What means "not available" ??
If proxy p1 is "not available", usually the browser cannot connect to it or a request times out.
With a no-connect error, a browser does failover to the second proxy...

Just checking: p1 and p2 are parent proxies and s1,s2,s3 the proxies that the serve the browser requests?
If yes, shouldn't the PAC code return "PROXY s1:8080; PROXY s2:8080; PROXY s3:8080" ?

Marcus