Re: AW: [squid-users] detecting dead parent problem - understanding parent and icp

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 14:15:31 +0300

Hey Markus,

What is the problem you are facing again?
are you trying to detect whether the proxy is working or not??
do you want 4 proxies to be in fail-over mode??? for HA??
I would imaging you have a PC and on it 4 proxies as cache_peers and you
would like to not have an option for a connection to be down??
If do and it's on a PC then what version of squid are you using?
ICP is not to detect if the proxy is up but to *know* if the proxy has
the specific cache object in case it's on one of the 4 the request would
pass thorough it.
there is another option that existed on squid 2.X that checks if the
cache_peer is up.
I built a helper that can help you detect if there is a problem in on of
the cache_peers to minimize the downtime to very very low.
https://github.com/elico/squid-helpers/tree/master/squid_helpers/proxy_hb_check

the above link contains the helpers which are very simple but are not
optimized for very high-load.
You can optimize the usage of a similar helper when used with squid
internal ttl for 2 secs and use the src IP instead of the url which is
changing all the time.

If you have more questions feel free to continue this thread.
If you have an idea on how to integrate the feature into squid many will
be happy.

Best Regards,
Eliezer