Re: [squid-users] Chunked and Range header support

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 03:41:31 +1200

On 6/07/2013 12:09 a.m., anita.sivakumar wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for the detailed reply about range headers. It was indeed informative on how to force squid to skip the range headers before sending it to the upstream.
>
> Do you have any idea on the chunked transfer encoding? I think the range offset header will be present in each data set sent by the squid to the client. But I am not sure of the transfer encoding header. Will it be set to every chunked data too?

Depends what do you mean by "every chunked data"?
* How chunked encoding works is each chunk/block of payload object is
started by an ASCII alphanumeric saying how long it is. That is all.

* Transfer-Encoding tells when "chunked" encoding is present in the
payload bytes, without that header the chunks will still be sent on as
if the object was bare binary data. The recipient will not be aware to
separate the chunk encoding bytes from the real object bytes and various
strange problems follow.

Squid which implement chunking fully decode it on receive and re-encode
if necessary on send. The received and sent chunks may not be the same
boundary positions or sizes. Chunked encoding support is mandatory by
all software saying it is HTTP/1.1, so any Squid eitting "HTTP/1.1" as
the protocol version supports chunking/dechunking properly on that
connection.
  If your Squid is old enough to still be sending HTTP/1.0 on any
requests please upgrade to 3.2+ which have much better HTTP support.

Amos