Re: [squid-users] Loadbalance & Failover between parent proxies

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 08:37:59 +0300

On 07/10/2013 05:54 PM, Nishant Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two parent proxies configured. Parent 1 is on a faster link while
> Parent 2 is on a DSL.
>
> Squid 3.1.20 is the child proxy while Parent proxies are 3.1.6.
>
> I have some domains which need higher priority and should be failed-over
> and rest all of the traffic can be load-balanced.
Hey,

I am a bit confused.
you need some domains to be in fail over mode ?? and others load balanced??
what needs to be failed over just use a acl that direct the proxy as not
running like with external ACL with a TTL that will allow the proxy to
be identified fast enough as in "DOWN" state.
I would go on a round robin simple setup with a rule like this:
(add name=proxy1\2 to the cache_peer directive which will make the
settings more readable and flexible)
##start
cache_peer_access proxy1 deny highpriodomains
external_acl_helper_that_recognizes the proxy is down
cache_peer_access proxy1 deny highpriodomains
!external_acl_helper_that_recognizes the proxy is down

cache_peer_access proxy1 allow all
cache_peer_access proxy2 allow all
##end

This is kind of RR + FO for specific domains.
You can use my basic helper from:
https://github.com/elico/squid-helpers/tree/master/squid_helpers/proxy_hb_check

which is not the same as the old internal feature that was embedded into
squid but it's more then any other thing I can think of right now.

Eliezer