[squid-users] refresh pattern questions

From: Joshua B. <josh_at_linkstechblog.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 14:31:58 -0400

I have some questions related to refresh pattern options

First, since “no-cache” now seems in-effective with http 1.1, what would be a possible way to force an object to cache using both standards of html 1.0 and 1.1? If it’s not possible, then is there any plans to implement in a future version of squid?

Secondly, why is there a limit of 1 year on an “override” method? A lot of websites make it such a pain to cache, and even go as far as (literally) setting the date of their files back to the early 1900s. Them doing this makes it feel impossible to cache the object, especially with squids own limitation.

With all this said, IS there an effective way to cache content when the server doesn’t want you to? So there would be like, a GAURANTEED “tcp_hit” in the log. Even with a ? in the url of the image, so squid would consider anything with a ? after it the same image. For example: website.com/image.jpg?1234567890
It's the exact same image (I've examined all in the logs that look like this), but they're making it hard to cache with the ? in the url, so I'd like to know if there's a way around this?

This would be extremely helpful, especially when it comes to caching image content.