Re: [squid-users] Re: Squid Reverse Proxy cannot open ports

From: Antony Stone <Antony.Stone_at_squid.open.source.it>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:51:29 +0200

On Wednesday 17 July 2013 at 12:45:34, jc.yin wrote:

> My setup for the web server is like this:
>
> 1. Domain name registered with Enom
> 2. Web server is with Digital Ocean
> 3. Via digital ocean's control panel I select the server I use and point
> it's public ip address to my domain name, I think digital ocean takes care
> of the propagating in the background
> 4. In the Enom DNS hosts settings, I point them to digital ocean's dns.
>
> This is how I get to access my site. The domain name points to digital
> ocean's dns which then points to my server's public ip address.

Okay, all makes sense.

> Now if I understand correctly from the instructions, instead of having
> digital ocean point mydomain.com to the web server's public ip address, I
> need to have mydomain.com point to my local squid's public ip address, and
> squid in turn forwards any direct requests to my main web server.
>
> Am I correct?

So long as your Squid server really does have a public IP address, then yes.

However, the address you posted earlier 192.168.1.45 is a private IP address,
not routable across the Internet, and will not work if you put it into public
DNS.

Maybe you should tell us how your Squid server can be accessed from the
Internet?

Antony.

--
"The future is already here.   It's just not evenly distributed yet."
 - William Gibson