Re: [squid-users] Squid on a powerfull server: how to setup ?

From: Travel Factory S.r.l. <mc8647_at_mclink.it>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 13:15:37 +0200

Hi,
sorry my message was incomplete.

> Depends on what is purpose of the proxy.

When in production the proxies will serve about 3000 users on a
200mbit internet connection that runs at full speed during several
hours daily. Use of proxy is not mandatory at the moment, users can
disable it.

I want to save bandwidth, if possible, and give quicker answers when
possible.

I also want/need to block direct access to the internet by the
clients, so that all traffic is scanned for malware.

To do this I currently have an antivirus/malware/url scanner as
upstream proxy (cache_peer). This commercial product also support
ICAP... is it better ?

> In squid SMP you can try to use ROCK store that stores small objects in
> order to use SMP and cache_dir together.

I compiled ROCK but is it mature enough to be used in production
servers ?

I will locate infos on how to enable squid SMP

> If you want to measure the RAID1 efficiency feel free.
> Dont rush into SSD since it's nice but you now have the specific
> hardware that can work fine just like that.
> What Raid are you using?? HW or SW or LVM?

It's HW raid, and it is quick :-)

> I assume that you are not only trying to save couple small pieces of
> bandwidth??

It's one of the things I want to do since bandwidth is full....

Thanks