[squid-users] The Squid Software Foundation

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno_at_squid-cache.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 14:41:44 +0200

Hello,

As many of you know by now, the Squid Project has formed the Squid
Software Foundation, a non-profit organization to support Squid
developer and user communities. The Foundation aims to provide community
governance and representation; logistical and administrative assistance;
infrastructure resources; as well as copyright ownership and licensing
authority for the Squid Project.

  http://www.squid-cache.org/Foundation/

The Foundation has been recognized by US government as a 501(c)3 public
charity. This recognition is meant to assure the public of our
not-for-profit status, exempt Foundation from paying most taxes, and to
make qualified donations to the Foundation tax-deductible. This
designation is a big deal, and it took a lot of effort to get this
status. A big "Thank You" to those who made it possible!

The Foundation structure has been modeled after the FreeBSD Foundation,
with various bits and pieces borrowed from the Apache Foundation and
other well-run open source non-profits. You can find our bylaws and
other documents at

  http://www.squid-cache.org/Foundation/archive/

The Foundation is currently being run by three volunteers: Henrik
Nordstrom, Amos Jeffries, and Alex Rousskov. There is a lot more work
than the three of us can handle, and there are plans to expand the Board
of Directors to at least four directors this year. Watch this space for
further announcements on the subject.

While the Foundation is not going to participate in Squid development,
there are plenty of infrastructure and community activities where we can
help both Squid developers and administrators. The scope of possible
projects ranges from release maintenance, to paid services coordination,
to build farm administration, to automated regression testing, to
experimental live deployments. With sufficient funding, we may even be
able to organize developer meetups and user workshops.

The Foundation is funded by donations. The startup capital was provided
by your PayPal payments that the Squid Project informally accumulated
since 2007 and a Measurement Factory contribution. We will need a lot
more funds to fulfill the Foundation mission though :-). Donations are
now gratefully accepted at

  http://www.squid-cache.org/Foundation/donate.html

If you have questions about the Foundation, please email them to
board_at_squid-cache.org.

Thank you,

The Squid Software Foundation Board of Directors
Henrik Nordstrom,
Amos Jeffries,
Alex Rousskov.