[squid-users] SMP Squid and aufs Stores

From: Golden Shadow <firas73737_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 18:40:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi there! I have a TPROXY squid version 3.3.7, installed on a Dell server with 2 X 2.7 GHz CPU, each with 12 cores. The server has 192 GB RAM and around 8 TB disk storage. At the moment, cache manager reports the following: Number of clients accessing cache:                      33 Average HTTP requests per minute since start:      22829.1 CPU Usage:      71.90% (Sometimes it reaches 85%) Squid is configured to fork only one worker. I'm thinking of enabling SMP and forking more squid workers to use more CPU cores. The problem is I don't want to use ROCK stores, because the maximum object size would then be 32 KB, knowing that I don't want to increase the system shared page size. Caching large objects (> 2 MB) by this squid is required. My question is: If I fork 2 or more squid workers, while sticking to the aufs cache_dirs I'm currently using, would that break my aufs stores in any way? I know aufs stores cannot be shared among the workers, and I guess there could be as many duplicate copies of some objects in the store as the number of workers, am I right? Would there be any other negative effects on the performance of squid? Do you recommend this configuration knowing that I don't want to use ROCK stores for the reasons mentioned above? I have another question, which is not related to squid. I can create new threads on squid-users mailing list, but I don't know how to reply to threads, hope I'm not looking so stupid here! I already subscribed to the mailing list but for some reason I don't get list messages on my email. Would you please tell me how I can reply to threads? Thanks in advance for your help! Regards, Firas