Re: [squid-users] Evaluating SQUID performance

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 00:28:52 +0300

On 07/25/2013 12:07 AM, Golden Shadow wrote:
> Hi Amos,
>
> Sorry if I provided inaccurate information, I just based my answer on the following:
>
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/InnerWorkings#Why_is_my_cache.27s_inbound_traffic_equal_to_the_outbound_traffic.3F
>
> Perhaps I just got that wrong!
Bandwidth from the admin point of view is in the logs but from the OS
level it's including DNS HTTP RPC others...
if you will run a TCPDUMP dump you will see what I am talking about.
But then again if you analyse the logs you see that it saves you traffic
even if you see on the network interface other traffic try to rethink it
since you can try squid by caching one file but then understand that in
a 200Mbit per sec traffic you would not see the bytes that squid saves
and saves the server from leaving too many connections open with no reason.

It's ok since you and me are right it's just that I described it in a
more detailed way just in case.

Eliezer