RE: [squid-users] Too many open files

From: Peter Retief <peter_at_swenitech.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 08:43:10 +0200

On 07/25/2013 09:25 AM, Peter Retief wrote:
>> I have changed the limits in /etc/security/limits.h to 65K, and I have
>> confirmed that the ulimits for root and squid are now 65K, but
>> squidclient mgr:info still reports a maximum of 16K per worker.
Eliezer:
>Ubutnu ???
>try to add into the init.d script the ulimit commands in order to force
squid running instance\ running sequences to 65k.

>IT worked for me and it should work for you..
>Do a restart but first make sure to run an example process with the squid
-f command on another port to get that I am right...

I did reboot after raising the limits, and then before starting squid,
checked ulimit -Sn and ulimit -Hn for both the root user and squid user.
Then after starting squid (running from squid -s, not init script yet), I
did a squidclient mgr:infor and saw 16K per process (actually I saw the
total of 98K for 6 workers, as per Amos's comment on the incorrect
calculation in squidclient, if I interpreted his comment correctly).