Re: [squid-users] Basic questions on transparent/intercept proxy

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 11:21:33 +1200

On 29/07/2013 2:30 a.m., Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> On 07/28/2013 03:37 PM, csn233 wrote:
>> To intercept HTTPS traffic, is SSL-bump a must? Even when I only want
>> to record the CONNECT traffic in access.log just like a normal forward
>> proxy without decrypting anything?
>>
>> Is this any different with TPROXY?
>>
> Indeed SSL-bump is a must..
> You will be able to record the CONNECT traffic when using:
> "sslbump deny all" like acl.
> I do not remember the exact way to do it but it is possible.
>
> Eliezer

Beyond the minor fact that there should be *no* CONNECT traffic on
intercepted port 80 or port 443 because CONNECT is a client-to-proxy
request method - which should only be seen on port 3128 or similar HTTP
proxy ports.

The current releases of Squid (3.3.8 and 3.4.0.1) should take
intercepted port-443 traffic and relay it untouched if there is no
decrypting done. They may convert it into a CONNECT if the traffic needs
relaying to a cache_peer, but otherwise it is just tunneled along to the
original destination server.

Amos