Re: [squid-users] squid cache-server misses all

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 06:14:37 +1200

On 30/07/2013 1:49 a.m., ana any wrote:

> hi guys,
>
> I have squid-3.1.20 installed on ubuntu-12.10. I didn't change much in
> squid's default configurations. I just defined "cache_dir" and
> "nameservers" and enabled "localnet". now when I open any webpages from
> client, in my access.log I see lots and lots of this message (for almost all contents):

> 1375088677.969 3341 192.168.0.81 TCP_MISS/200 111920 GET http://www.imdb.com/ - DIRECT/72.21.215.52 text/html
> 1375088683.295 479 192.168.0.81 TCP_MISS/200 648 GET http://s.media-imdb.com/twilight/? - DIRECT/72.21.215.52 image/gif
>

> I look at squid's cache folder and I see size of cache folder grows (so content is being
> cached?) but apparently no cached content is being used.

In direct accordance with IMDB cache control rules about what may be
done with their website.

The first of those URLs presents an index page containing proprietary
and copyright infromation under a limited license. It also contains
embeded user-specific content. It is marked as *private* information for
the individual client and may not be stored by shared caches such as Squid.

The second URL is unclear exactly since you have cropped off all the
query-string portion which would aid us in identifying the exact
problem. Other similar URLs are marked with "no-cache, must-revalidate"
and an Expiry timestamp long in the past. To cause HTTP/1.0 software
(such as squid-3.1) not to cache or to revalidate on every use, and
HTTP/1.1 compliant softwrae (such as squid-3.2 and later) to cache it
but revalidate before any use.

> I googled but didn't find anything that help me. is there anything I'm missing? Does anyone have a thought or suggestion?

Best thing to do is upgrade to 3.2 or 3.3.

There are refresh_pattern directive options which can fine tune
behavioru for unfriendly site. However I don't advise doing anything
with those particular URLs due to the embeded user-specific content IMDB
adds to their pages (you do not want to be responsible for your users
getting each others IMDB account details or notices). If the problem is
more widespread in other sites though you may want to share your whole
config file (without the # comment lines) and we may be able to find
something to help.

Amos