Re: [squid-users] 3.4.0.1 dnsreq statistics question

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 00:15:12 +1200

On 30/07/2013 11:15 p.m., Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> I had good results replacing 3.3.8 with 3.4.0.1 - no changes to the
> config were needed.
>
> One interesting observation: The dnsreq statistics are different. With
> 3.3.8 the graphs for requests and replies were "identical". Plotted on
> top of each other -- only one graph could be seen.
>
> Since switching to I'm seeing MORE requests than replies. Not much,
> but enough for the graphs to be seen individually. Currently I'm
> seeing 10.17 requests and 8.21 replies per second.
>
> Is this to be expected?

Yes and No.

Yes, 3.4 added mDNS support which have no particular guarantee of
getting any response. If you do not have mDNS setup the .local requests
will timeout instead, before moving on to the global resolution methods.

No, because the above event should only show up on single-label domain
names in URL or Host: header. And if you do have .local mDNS setup in
the network most of them should be getting responses anyway.

Amos