Re: [squid-users] 3.4.0.1 dnsreq statistics question

From: Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt_at_charite.de>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 10:36:40 +0200

* Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>:

> >So I would see *.local queries in the query log on the local caching
> >DNS on the machine?
>
> I would expect to yes. At least that was the behaviour when I tested it.
> -> lookup for invalid.local in mDNS server -> timeout
> -> lookup for invalid.local in local NS server -> NXDOMAIN

The Query log is not showing any of these

> Ah sorry I steered a bit wrong. Squid will not add the .local part
> itself. Resolv.conf or equivalent "search list" settings are still
> required to do that mapping part. The mDNS only steps in with a
> different resolver if the domain tail matches ".local".

OK, since we didn't configure this, it won't be queried.

> What does the idns cache manager report say about #QUERIES vs
> #REPLIES on each of your NS ?

"idns cache manager"? Is that a function of Squid or in my local
caching DNS?

--
Ralf Hildebrandt                   Charite Universitätsmedizin Berlin
ralf.hildebrandt_at_charite.de        Campus Benjamin Franklin