Re: [squid-users] hit percentage in squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 20:27:43 +1200

On 1/08/2013 6:20 p.m., John Joseph wrote:

> Hi All
> Going through the squid docs and mailing list email, I see HIT percentage.
> Is the HIT percentage is the images which takes from the squid cache when user browse

It is not related partcularly to images. In HTTP there are no image or
files or scripts or anything like that. Just _objects_, which are sent
as response payloads.
Any object can be stored in cache if the conditions around how it was
generated and how it will be updated in future allow it to be stored for
any length of time.

HIT and MISS are a general concept which also exist in any area which
involves a cache of any type. For example a CPUs L1/L2 caches have
HIT/MISS events in relation to memory block loading.
HIT ratio is simply the mathematical ratio of requests which are a cache
HIT (object stored in cache) to those which are a cache MISS (object not
in cache)

Since Squid does caching for HTTP it has a HIT ratio measurement to
evaluate the efficiency of that cache. It is often represented as a % of
total traffic and can be measured in either bytes or request count.

Amos