[squid-users] Re: Squid monitoring, access report shows upto 5 % to 7 % cache usage

From: babajaga <augustus_meyer_at_yahoo.de>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 09:17:53 -0700 (PDT)

Like I guessed already in my first reply, you are reaching the max limit of
cached objects in your cache_dir, like Amos explained. Which will render
ineffective part of your disk space.

However, as an alternative to using rock, you can setup a second ufs/aufs
cache_dir.
(Especially, in case, you have a production system, I would suggest 2
ufs/aufs.)

BUT, and this is valid for both alternatives, be careful then to avoid
double caching by applying
consistent limits on the size of cached objects.
Note, that there are several limits to be considered:
maximum_object_size_in_memory xxxxxx KB
maximum_object_size yyyyyyy KB
minimum_object_size 0 KB
cache_dir aufs /var/cacheA/squid27 250 16 256 min-size=0 max-size=zzzzzzzz
cache_dir aufs /var/cacheB/squid27 250 16 256 min-size=zzzzzzz+1
max-size=yyyyyyyy KB

And, when doing this, you should use the newest squid release. Or good, old
2.7 :-)
Reason is, that there were a few squid versions 3.x, having a bug when
evaluating the combination of different limit options, with the consequence,
of not storing certain cachable objects on disk.