Re: [squid-users] reading swap.state file

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 10:12:41 +1200

On 5/08/2013 1:11 a.m., Hussam Al-Tayeb wrote:
> how I can parse swap.state file for inconsistencies?
> i.e. files referenced in swap.state but not in disk cache.

swap.state is a journal of transactions. It includes references to
operations that occured on old deleted files as part of its normal
content. Squid handles any such files without the delete record
automatically you do not need to worry about it.

> Or files on disk but not referenced in swap.state. it seems squid does not know
> how to shut down correctly if one of the users is viewing a youtube video.

What do you mean by that last one? If Squid is shutting down it waits
shutdown_timeout for clients to finish up (a long video would not do so)
then terminates all remaining client connections and stops. None of them
get written to the log, and on restart the corrupted files will be
overwritten.

Amos