Re: [squid-users] reading swap.state file

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 21:40:40 +0300

On 08/05/2013 04:47 PM, Hussam Al-Tayeb wrote:
> Would manually setting the shutdown_timeout value to over 30 seconds (let's
> say 180 seconds) and typing 'sync' before shutting down squid to restart the
> server help with the OS caching disk i/o issue?
> I am expecting the 3.10.5 kernel update anytime now so it would be a good time
> to test things.
The above is kind of not really needed to my understanding.
The sync is OS level operation which squid can but not directly needs to
control.

In this level squid actually gives the OS the swapin\swapout results to
schedule a "write" and "read" operations.
From squid point of view the "write" operation was done already once the
connection was ended and in a case that the mem_cache max size is
exceeded and the cache_dir is the only option for saving the object.

Once you shutdown a running OS in the "nice" way not just disconnecting
the cable the OS does a sync as part of the clean shutdown.

The reasons I can think of a file that was yet to be removed is that it
was not scheduled by the OS or squid.
What version of squid are you using?

Eliezer