Re: [squid-users] dns_v4_first behavior using acl

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 18:45:12 +1200

On 18/08/2013 6:41 a.m., Bob wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Using squid 3.2.13.
> Machine running squid behind local router providing IPv6 connectivity via
> managed tunnel. I.e, squid host know nothing about the tunnel.
>
> A handful of web sites have intermittent ipv6 connectivity issues, and I
> want to get dns_v4_first behavior for only those sites, based on a dstdomain
> acl.
> Something like this:
>
> Acl bad_ipv6 dstdomain .baddomain.com
> Dns_v4_first bad_ipv6
>
> Presently dns_v4_first only accept on or off. Is there a way to emulate the
> behavior I want?

Unfortunately no. The v4_first option is implemented by manipulating the
structure of the DNS results packet returned to Squid's IP address
cache. The objects necessary to setup ACLs are not available at that
time and the time delay from testing them on every DNS lookup would be
large for very low benefit.

It is possible to add an new access control test in the
peer_selection.cc where the outgoing connections are decided though.
Interested in sponsoring?

Amos