Re: [squid-users] Re: can we know the ip of transparent proxy ??

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 18:41:21 +1200

On 19/08/2013 5:50 p.m., Ahmad wrote:
> hi Eliezer ,
>
> ive searched and found application called tracetcp , this tool can only
> tell me if there is transparent proxy or not , but not going to tell me the
> ip of the transparent proxy !!!
>
> is there a trick to know the ip of transparent squid ?

Not from the client end. Even NAT interception transparency the proxy IP
is hidden from the client. The server knows, but not the client. With
TPROXY even that server knowledge is gone (there is *no* IP address on
the MITM proxy - it is more like a bridge than a proxy server).

The TRACE method of HTTP with Max-Forwards header is supposed to operate
like a ICMP traceroute probe at the HTTP level and can show true/false
information about whether a proxy hops exist. If the proxy admin allow
it may also show some details of that proxy software.

Amos