Re: [squid-users] yooutube video caching

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 12:16:36 +0300

Hey there,

Since I have been working on youtube caching and content de-duplication
quite some time I can tell you in one sentence my conclusion which was
verified and tested in the past.
Youtube is a very complex and advanced piece of technology which
actually can be used to share video content.
The development and advancement of this system\site shows how it can be
used in many levels.
I think that caching youtube by itself is not the main goal of squid but
on the way it can do that if the admin tries to be a hacker.

Do you want to just implement a squid environment that can cache YT videos?
Most of the ISPs should have enough bandwidth to use the upper tier of
the network infrastructure and relay on them.
youtube is probably have a "tiny" CDN network that has a closer peers
that can serve your content easily.

I think that it's not 100% to just try to cache youtube videos and you
can try and see how it goes and I can assist you to learn more about it.
try to take a small peak at this draft:
http://www1.ngtech.co.il/squid/StoreID.html

and as Amos suggested it is a very good idea to look at the wiki and
understand the feature StoreID.

Regards,
Eliezer