[squid-users] mac acl is not really mac based?

From: Attila Gömbös <attila.gombos_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 21:06:02 +0200

Hi guys!

As far as I see the MAC-address based ACL is not really based on MAC address.
- Squid checks the IP address of the HTTP request.
- Looks up the ARP table, and searches for the allowed MAC address.
- If the IP has got an ARP entry with the allowed MAC address it will
let it through.

This is a problem in my case, since there is a firewall in transparent
mode between the users workstations and the squid.
I would need to allow connections only from the firewall. I couldn't
do it IP based, since the firewall is set to keep the source IP of the
workstations.
But the source MAC is changed by the firewall, however i am not able
to filter for it, because of the previously mentioned reasons.

Best regards,
Attila