Re: [squid-users] squid 3.1.10 page allocation failure. order:1, mode:0x20

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 20:40:12 +1200

On 21/08/2013 1:31 a.m., inittab wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.
> I've moved up to squid version 3.3.5, changed the raid5 into a raid0,
> tweaked the value of cache_dir to 100000, moved the acl manager lines,
> removed hierarchy_stoplist, and enabled memory_pools.
>
> I have also added RPS monitoring to our cacti instance so i can get a
> better idea when I give this a shot again.
>
> When running multiple processes of squid to deal with multiple (slow)
> cores, how many processes do you recommend running? 1 per core or
> less? I currently have 10 processes setup on 12 cores but do not know
> if this is the correct way to go about it.

Yes it is. Squid can possibly use the whole CPU core cycles, but each
worker is a single threaded process so it cannot make use of more than
one core.
If you are using rock cache_dir they use a separate disker proces to
manage teh disk I/O so it may be worthwhile allocating a core to that
process as well as the main worker(s).

Amos