Re: [squid-users] Re: refresh_pattern >>AND<< reload-into-ims

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 22:22:24 +1200

This defines it best: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache_%28computing%29

> I'd like to cache the updates for at least a year. My example of 3-4 years
> was a bit exaggerated.
> Basically if I have to do a reinstall, several months down the road, I
> simply don't want to have to redownload everything again - period;
> especially if it can sit nicely in my proxy somewhere.

The problem with this is that for it to work your cache size has to be
equal to the total traffic used by you in 1 year. Any idea how much you
and all your software browse and download in the course of a year? Most
ISP situations I've seen caches are only able to store the last weeks
worth of popular objects, the longest was 1 month with a few TB of storage.
YMMV but that is where your biggests problem will be.

> If I allow the proxy to cache other stuff, I just want to make sure the at
> updates are not overwritten - if at all possible.

They *will* be overwritten if the URL they were fetched from gets an
updated object at the other end or the cache runs out of space and needs
to bump them for new content.
This is called a cache for reason, otherwise it would be "Squid HTTP
archiving proxy" or something.

Amos