[squid-users] Re: cache_dir size v.s. available RAM

From: HillTopsGM <emailgregagain_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 16:20:58 -0700 (PDT)

In connection with my last post, I also had this question:

Let's say that with my 4GB of RAM I decided to create a total cache storage
area that was 650GB; obviously the index would be much larger than could be
stored in RAM.

If my primary purpose was to 'archive' my windows updates, I'd expect that
it would take the system only a couple of seconds to review the index that
would spill over to the drive, and then we'd be back in business for the
updates - no?

I simply want the Proxy to help serve updates of all programs - Windows,
Browser updates like Firefox, Thunderbird, Adobe Reader, Skype, nVidia
Driver updates (100's of MB at a crack), etc, etc.

I was thinking of creating a rule (maybe someone could help be write it so
it makes sense) that all sites would be accessed directly and told NOT TO BE
cached.

For Example:

*STEP 1/4*
acl noproxy dstdomain .com .net .org <==== etc, etc. Would that work?

always_direct allow noproxy
cache deny noproxy

*STEP 2/4*:
Then for Each site, *in particular*, I want cached (like the Windows update
sites) create rules like this:

never_direct deny windowsupdate
never_direct allow all
cache allow windowsupdate

NOTE: I chose 'windowsupdate' as that is what was used for the acl rules on
the FAQ page here >> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/WindowsUpdate
<http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/WindowsUpdate>

*STEP 3/4*, Next I was thinking that I'd have to add is acl's for
acl windowsupdate dstdomain microsoft.com
acl windowsupdate dstdomain windowsupdate.com
acl windowsupdate dstdomain my.windowsupdate.website.com

. . . as I see that those domains are part of the refresh rules for the
windows updates but not the acl's, and I was thinking that If I didn't do
that, they would be allowed through as per the
never_direct allow all
rule.

Frankly, I was wondering why they WERE NOT included in the group of acl's
listed on that page.
Comments on that?

*STEP 4/4*, Lastly, all I'd have to do is add an acl for sites that I want
to be cached in addition to the windows updates like so:

acl windowsupdate dstdomain .mozilla.org
acl windowsupdate dstdomain .adobe.com
acl windowsupdate dstdomain .java.com
acl windowsupdate dstdomain .nvidia.com
etc, etc, etc,