Re: [squid-users] One squid instance, two WAN links, how to failover from primary to secondary link?

From: Thomas Harold <thomas-lists_at_nybeta.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 13:09:37 -0400

On 8/26/2013 6:41 AM, Nishant Sharma wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thomas Harold <thomas-lists_at_nybeta.com> wrote:
>> In an instance where you have a single instance of squid running on a two WAN links as WAN
>> is very slow compared to WAN #1.
>>
>> Is this simply handled by changing the default gateway of the server
>> using the "ip route" commands when we detect that WAN#1 is down?
>
> Yes, it should work that way. Simple and easy.

I'm guessing that "balance_on_multiple_ip" should be set to "off" as
well, to keep squid from balancing across both WAN links?

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/balance_on_multiple_ip/

It's not clear what the manual means when it says "Modern IP resolvers
in Squid sort lookup results by preferred access. By default Squid will
use these IP in order and only rotates to the next listed when the most
preffered fails."

What is "preferred access"? Is that defined somewhere? Or does that mean
the preferred routes defined by the TCP/IP network stack?