Re: [squid-users] Re: URL blacklist/block and redirector

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 17:22:30 +1200

On 4/09/2013 5:31 p.m., Sachin Gupta wrote:
> Hi,
>>
>> I came through quite a number of redirectors listed on the site:
>> http://www.squid-cache.org/Misc/redirectors.html
>>
>> However was not able to decide which one of these suits my requirement.
>>
>> I will be having a list of URLs which need to be blocked written in a file and specified in the squid configuration file.
>> Also on blocking of the URL, the User should be displayed a custom page.
>>
>> Please guide.
>>
>> Regards

Alternatively; use an ACL blacklist to match requests, the deny_info
directive to do redirection to some URL when the blacklist ACL matches.
And configure your http_access rules to use the ACL as appropriate.

A proper *redirector* can be just as effective and more efficient on
managing the blacklist contents. Soem of them have flexible multi-type
access controls as well. But you do need to be careful that they are
doing a proper HTTP 30x redirection and not fakingit wit a url-rewrite.
URL re-write introduces a lot of troubles and nasty side effetcs due to
being a protocol violation.

Amos