[squid-users] Odd SMP and DNS issue

From: Tim Murray <tim82au_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 14:40:06 +0800

Hi Everybody

I've got a bit of an odd issue, and I was hoping I could possibly get
some advice.

I'm running 3.3.5 with 9 SMP workers.

On certain SMP workers, certain DNS records will not resolve. The
users are getting "No DNS Records" error from Squid.

Each one of my workers runs its own http_port, if I do a GET requests
with the reported failing domain across each worker, I clearly see
that error being returned, however it will ONLY occur on 1 or 2
workers max at any given time.

If I wait a couple minutes, the GET requests takes much longer to
return the "No DNS Record" error, I'm assuming this is the
negative_dns_ttl setting and it's asking

A restart (or reconfigure) of Squid will resolve the issue for a
little while, the workers it affects seems to be different each time.
I've confirmed that the DNS server is definitely resolving the
successfully.

And this issue has actually only started happening (That we know of at
least) in the last couple of days.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before by any chance?

Cheers
Tim